- What have been the effects of geography and climate upon society and culture in India?
- Investigate the origin of the theory that the so-called Indo-European languages bear a family
relationship to one another. What scholars first advanced this theory, and where did they find
evidence to support it? What is the status of this theory today?
- Read Aldous Huxley's Ends and Means, or one of his later novels, to find examples of the
influence of the philosophy of the Upanishads upon his thinking.
- Investigate the special characteristics of Buddhism in Tibet, Burma, or Sri Lanka.
- Compare the development of mathematics and astronomy in ancient India with that in ancient
- Investigate the similarities between the pre-Aryan Indus valley civilization and other
contemporary civilizations, such as the Babylonian or Egyptian.
- Investigate further what archaeological explorations have revealed about ancient Indian
civilization. What can our current archaeological knowledge tell us about daily life in the Indus
- According to legend, Indra was supposed to have conquered drought and refreshed the earth
with plentiful water. Compare this legend with other water-related legends from other ancient
civilizations (Hebrew, Egyptian, Chinese, etc.). Analyze the place of water in ancient lore and
- Explore the connection between religion and statecraft in India. Compare this with the
relationship found in other early civilizations.