- Invention Techniques - Texas A & M University
Numerous strategies for teaching, linked to handouts.
Writers Block: Techniques for Generating Ideas - Amherst College
Freewriting and its benefits, listing, Elbow's "open-ended writing," outlining.
- Brainstorming - University of North Carolina Chapel Hill
In addition to more familiar methods: "3 perspectives," relationship between the parts, thinking outside the box, idea shapes, more.
- Prewriting Strategies - Tracy Duckart, Humboldt State University
Clustering, cubing, dialoguing, dramatizing, freewriting, listing, matrixing, outlining, topical invention.
- Brainstorming Topic Ideas - College of Charleston
Places to look for topics: people, media, databases; brainstorming strategies.
- http://www.brainstorming.co.uk/ - Infinite Innovations Ltd, UK
"Change your life and career with advanced brainstorming." Novel techniques for idea generation.
- Grammar and Style - CUNY
"A to Z" grammar reference, interactive exercises.
- Grammar, Etc. - The Freeload Press (Norton)
Free downloadable handbook of grammar and style, many exercises.
Required: Free registration, lower left:
- Guide to Grammar and Writing - Charles Darling, Capital Community College
Interactive tutorials, extensive coverage. Topic areas: Word & Sentence Level; Paragraph Level; Essay & Research Paper Level; Ask Grammar, Quizzes, Search Devices; Peripherals & Powerpoints; GrammarPoll.
- Practice Exercises Index - OWL Purdue
ESL, grammar, punctuation, spelling exercises.
- Grammar Exercises - Gallaudet University
Multiple exercises for all parts of speech, sentence and punctuation exercises.
- Common Errors in English - Paul Brians, Washington State University
Alphabetized listing of usage errors, including common misspellings, linked to explanations of the errors, with corrections.
Quotes, Paraphrasing, Summarizing
- Quoting, Paraphrasing,
& Summarizing - Ohio University
O.U's Linguistics resource page links to additional resources, provides detailed
tips and exercises for paraphrasing, summarizing, and quoting.
- Quoting, Paraphrasing, and Summarizing - Purdue's OWL
Distinctions, how and why to use these forms, essay-based examples.
- Quoting, Paraphrasing & Summarising - University of New South Wales, Sydney, AU
Distinct features, definitions, guidelines, when to use each form.